[Emeriti-faculty] Reminder: Colloquium at 3:00 today Friday, 11/6/09

Good afternoon:

There is a Department of Physics and Astronomy Colloquium today Friday, 11/6/09 at 3:00 pm in Robinson 253. Faculty and Graduate students are encouraged to attend.

TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium

Photon Manipulation of Spins and Sensitive Detection by On-chip Methods

Irinel Chiorescu.
Florida State University and
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory

Manipulation of quantum information allows certain algorithms to be performed at unparalleled speeds. Photons are an ideal choice to manipulate qubits as they interact with quantum systems in predictable ways. They are a versatile tool for manipulating, reading/coupling qubits and for encoding/transferring quantum information over long distances. In this talk I will discuss recent advancements in our laboratory that regards spin detection and manipulation by single and multi-photons resonant activation. Using an Electron Spin Resonance cavity, we operated a two-level and a six-level system by means of single as well as multi-photon coherent Rabi oscillations.[1,2] For the study of nanosized samples, we have implemented an on-chip SQUID detection method able to measure spin systems in large magnetic fields. Also, microwave transmission through an on-chip superconducting cavity and measured by a heterodyne system is developed for the same purpose. Aside spin sensing, these techniques demonstrate fine ability in detecting properties of superconducting materials. Observation of the nonlinear Meissner effect (NLME), a long-sought variety of the known Meissner effect, is demonstrated for the first time as a function of the magnitude and the orientation of a parallel magnetic field.[3]. It is proposed to use such “NLME angular spectroscopy” to probe unconventional pairing symmetries in superconductors.

[1] S. Bertaina, L. Chen, N. Groll, J. Van Tol, N.S. Dalal, I. Chiorescu, PRL 102, 050501 (2009) [2] S. Nellutla, K.-Y. Choi, M. Pati, J. van Tol, I. Chiorescu, N. S. Dalal, PRL 99, 137601 (2007)
[3] N. Groll, A. Gurevich, I. Chiorescu, arXiv: 0908.4097, submitted to
PRL.

November 6, 2009
3:00 pm
Robinson Hall, Room 253

Refreshments served in Robinson 251 at 2:30 pm