[Emeriti-faculty] RECONSIDERATION of the recent department vote on selection of new faculty

Dear All,
 I am emailing the regular faculty to urge that the regular faculty reconsider the vote as to how we choose new regular faculty.

My reasons are strong:

1] The issue is a very serious one.

2] Yet we didn't define the criteria for a lack of unanimity of the selection committee.
Does unanimity require unanimity with respect to the entire ordered list of candidates or only the leading candidate?

3]  Ken Olum is not a regular faculty member and therefore never votes for new faculty. Yet he had a vote that could have been the tie breaker.
        I don't see why he should have been attending the meeting at all!  We have violated reason.

4]  The two previous chairs of the ad hoc selection committees, Bill and Peggy, have very valuable information and wisdom about this issue. Yet neither of them was present. Unfortunately, both are on leave.
Still, I feel that we can and should get their input.

Leon

Department of Physics and Astronomy
Robinson Hall - Rm 357
617-627-5361