(ET) Smoke is not a good thing (E20 tilling)

It rained last night, so I went out today to do some more heavy tilling with the E20, tiller, and power lift. The lift has been... augmented with a 30a DC rated three position switch with a steel handle and a center spring off configuration to replace the earlier switch I had which was a normal cheap center off no spring toggle switch with a plastic housing that... melted.

I use the lift pretty heavily to slowly dig into the ground and if I hit the usual rock I run the tiller up, stop everything, and pull out the rock. Then repeat.

However this is not a lift or tiller problem: While tilling away I had the tractor in LL, was tilling soft ground, and doing the usual stop, go forward a few inches, stop, go forward and for a moment the tractor moved slower than usual and I saw a small amount of smoke coming from the lower front panel (which is open right now). Not good. I shut down, turned off the main disconnect, then turned it on, put the tractor in neutral and gave it power.

Odd: The tiller came on in speed 1, then went off, then came on as I lifted my foot off the pedal. I shut down, unplugged the tiller and lift (in case it was a double ground fault) and started up. Same behavior except I could hear the attachment contactor clicking on and off.

So I put the tractor in D, raised the mower deck, and drove the tractor out. All speeds were ok. Parked it in a sunny spot to work on it and tested again. Sure enough speed 1 seems to be turning the attachment PTO relay ON then it drops OFF when I go to speeds 2 and above. May have shorted two wires on the loom, I'll look at it later this week when I have some more time.

The tiller *is* amazing though but it is a massive power attachment device. Glad I have it, it's digging up all of the clay in portions of my lawn and giving things a chance to be aerated. Also we had a major storm last night and the area by the shed was NOT all wet and puddled, indicating those tilled trenches I made are shunting the water away.

Progress!