Re: (ET) 3 - 12v battery setup

 I use the group 27 marine battery on my pontoon boat.  I think it would
be acceptable for very light
usage.https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-27DC-12-Volt-750-MCA/164242687?athbdg=L1200&from=/search
They're only $94 each at Walmart    On Monday, September 11, 2023 at
10:32:17 AM EDT, David Roden <etpost drmm net> wrote:

 Yes, it will work. They will run the tractor.  The charger will charge
them.

Don't try to use automotive or marine starting batteries.  They'll fail
quickly in cyclical use.

I haven't measureed, but you could probably fit two group 27 marine
batteries in the back and one in the front.  Other sizes may fit, but are
less common and thus will probably be more expensive.

Plus::

The batteries will be cheaper, assuming that you use standard flooded
marine type.

The tractor will weigh less, making it easier to load and unload when you
display it.

The batteries will charge from flat to full in less than half the time.

Neutral:

You will have to set the lift tap at 12 or 24 volts rather than 18.  I've
used 24 volts without a problem.

Minus::

The tractor will work for less than half the time per charge.

The batteries will wear out sooner.  Depending on type, brand, and design,
they may have half the life of golf car batteries, or less.  I've seen
marine batteries die in a year or less when used in road EVs, especially
in
hot climates, but that's an extreme case.

The batteries will have less peak current capacity (amperes), so you'll
need a lower gear for high demand tasks such as pulling loads.  Some very
heavy tasks may become impossible because of the battery pack's higher
internal resistance.

The tractor will weight less, which will further reduce your ability to
pull loads because of lower traction.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send