Re: (ET) Trying 29 cells for BB600

On 16 Apr 2023 at 14:27, Chris Zach via Elec-trak wrote:

> One solution I tried was modifying the ballast capacitor in the charger,
> but
> when my timer failed on my E15 I nuked a complete string of 30 cells
> into a
> solid block of plastic and nickel. On the positive side, it did have a
> lot
> more capacity. Well until it melted.

To get the most out of that battery, you really need a smart charger with
the correct profile.  But I've been saying that for years and obviously I
haven't convinced you.  :-)

An unmodified ET factory charger isn't just mostly dumb, it's the wrong
kind of mostly dumb for a NiCd battery.  It charges at a regulated
voltage,
not a regulated current.

You can safely charge NiCd batteries almost indefinitely with a constant
current charge of 0.1C, where C is the C20 amp hour capacity expressed in
amps.   Voltage doesn't matter much, only current, though watching for the
on-charge voltage to fall (negative dv/dt) is a great way for an automatic
NiCd charger to decide when to shut off.

So if your battery is (say) 34 ah at 20h, you can charge it at a regulated
current of 3.4 amps.

If charged at 0.1C your NiCd battery will take about 10-12 hours to reach
full charge from flat.  So you can set a shutoff timer for 10-12 hours.
If
the battery isn't flat when you start the charge and thus gets overcharged
by 25% or 50%, it's no big deal at that current.  If the timer fails on,
and you don't remember to check it for a few days, again, no big deal.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA