(ET) 2 ETs down - tough winter so far

Just casting about for thoughts before I dig into either machine. It's too bloody cold here to work on them at the moment. Hit -32 C the night before last.

The speed-direction control on the E12 that carries the plow blade started acting a bit flaky, then handed me the actual control handle with remains of a rusted out roll-pin. Fortunately, this happened when the tractor was not moving. Took me a while to push it up off the street uphill into its usual parking spot.

I'm assuming the easiest fix is to remove the speed control unit from within the dash area, dislodge the remains of the original roll-pin and insert a new one. I think this machine will turn 50 this year.

Other thoughts on starting point on this one?

By comparison, the E15 that pushes the snowthrower around is a young 47-48 years old, IIRC.

It was having flaky fuse issues (the 3-fuse panel on the 'firewall'), lift and then controls. Cleaned the holders, closed them a bit, and put in new fuses. Seemed to resolve the issues. A couple of direction shifts later on the speed controller and the power gauge reading dropped to the floor. I'm assuming a short, and possibly because it could have a welded contactor at this point, creating a short by closing one contactor and not opening another. Power meter drop happens in both forward and reverse. Got to push that one all the way up the driveway and into the garage with help.

Again, any other thoughts on a diagnostic starting point?

This one is disappointing because I put some time and effort into getting the snowthrower operating really nicely, and it's my main tool for widening the street after the city plow comes by after each storm and widens the snowbanks, narrowing the street. I generally use the plow to lift the packed down snow beside the plow droppings as the grader compacts the snow with its front wheels before the blade reaches the same point. Then pass with the snowthrower to move the plow compacted material and droppings up over the snow wall.

I trust others are having more fun with their ETs in the snow this year.

--
Darryl McMahon