Re: (ET) Ground up ET build

You could build a tractor that is your own version of the Elec-Trak, but
if you're really starting from the ground up, you could do something
much better.  It's probably worth looking at the Electric Ox and seeing
what they did right and wrong.  Some things that are right: 48V,
electronically controlled movers, ability to control the power to the
two drive wheels independently.  With this system they could have had
ZTR, but decided against it.  If you want to do a lot of mowing, it
might be worth while.  Linear actuator in place of the strap lift, so
you can push down for plowing.

I've upgraded mine in many ways: AGM batteries (probably lithium
would be better nowadays), better charging system, etc.

But what I really daydream about is a tractor built for snowblowing.  I
have a very nice 2-stage snowblower attachment built by Bercomac.  But
this requires a different level of power from anything else I do with my
tractor.  My snowblower motor is only rated for 5kW continuous, and the
rest of the tractor (even though I upgraded many things) would not be
able to supply much more.  This makes it pretty slow going in heavy
snow.  I think 20kW would be ideal, but this would mean a completely
different design, more like an electric car, with a large lithium pack
at a higher voltage.  I'm not going to build such a machine, but maybe
someone will someday.  The moral of this story is that if you want to
blow your snow, you need to start with that as your requirement and go
from there.

                                        Ken