Re: (ET) Grass sticking to the deck.

Paul asked about sticky grass. I've observed the same effect. My deck is an "AA42RC", meaning that it was fitted with the rear discharge baffles ("R"); I don't know what the "C" implies.

When I got the deck, it had no baffles, and so I used it as-was in rear discharge mode. (There have been suggestions that the baffles do little more than provide places for grass clippings to stick.) One day the side discharge cover came off after having rusted quite thoroughly. I started using it with the side discharge opening open. There did seem to be less build-up, though there was still quite a lot.

Then the deck cracked in the vicinity of the discharge opening and right caster. (The cover had provided some degree of reinforcement until it rusted through.) A local machinist was able to weld the crack back together and he also fitted a reinforcing bar around the opening.

Not being sure if it was safe to use a garden hose to rinse off the underside of the deck, I've been using plastic putty knives to srape off the clumps of clippings. And now one of the helper springs has broken, right where it attaches to the helper chain. (The deck did seem to lift rather slowly and incompletely...) If it's not one thing it's two...

Larry Chace  Ithaca, NY  E15 and I-5