Re: (ET) Ideas please - E15 reverse only

I wonder whether the long power-on period might be a red herring here.

Sidebar: I did the same thing once or twice, so I added an off-seat
Sonalert.  It yells at me if I get off the tractor without turning off the
key.  It's annoying, but it keeps me from being careless.

Anyway, the reverse design on the E15's GE controller is straightforward
and *should* be reliable.  It's a DPDT relay that reverses polarity to the
motor's shunt field.  It's often NOT reliable.  I'm not an electrical
engineer, but I think that GE both undersized the relay and failed to
provide enough (reliable) surge suppression for the inductive kick that
its
contacts have to handle.

In my limited experience the best long-term fix is to junk the GE
controller and fit a modern solid state controller to the tractor.

Before I did that, my usual reverse problem was that the ET wouldn't
reverse when put in reverse. That can be disconcerting, to say the least.
The final straw was plowing the driveway with the hood up and the relay
panel tilted down, reversing the tractor by pushing on the relay flapper.

I haven't had the GE controller in mine for many years and am going from
memory here.  If I make an error below I hope that others will correct me.

For the E15 to *stay* in reverse, the relay contacts would have to have
welded or stuck, or the circuit powering the relay coil to have somehow
closed and stayed closed.

I can't recall now when the microswitch on the speed lever engages the
reverse relay.  You'd think it wouldn't pull in the relay until it's
actually in a reverse position, but a little mouse is whispering that
maybe
it does so in stopped position. Somebody help me out here, please.

If you haven't yet inspected and tested the reverse relay that's the place
to start.  It's mounted to the black metal panel below where the hood
opens.  Unscrew the panel and tilt it out.  You may be able to see that
the
relay contacts are in the down position. Otherwise break out the
multimeter
and check contact continuity (wires disconnected).  Power up the tractor
and check for voltage across the relay coil.  If the relay clicks when you
turn on the key and the speed lever is in forward (trans in neutral!),
check for a stuck reverse microswitch on the speed lever.

Voltage tests are better done with an analog voltmeter as the very high
input impedance of a DMM will fool you with "phantom voltage."  Or you can
put a resistor of around 47k ohms across the DMM's test leads.  The value
isn't critical, 27k, 33k, 68k, or 82k is probably OK too.

Good luck!  Please let us know what you find.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA