Re: (ET) Elec-trak Digest, Vol 19, Issue 88

On 18 Oct 2021 at 13:17, Chris Zach via Elec-trak wrote:

> OK. Let's say you are blowing snow. You have to have a certain amount of
> speed
> to do so properly without the chute clogging. When you start with a
> happy full
> battery the current is lower than when you're coming towards the end
> with an
> empty battery. Power is what moves the snow.

Correct, power moves the snow.  But in a DC brushed motor, speed is
proportional to the applied voltage.  As voltage falls, The auger turns
slower, throwing the snow less far, and *using less power*.

> if you mow in say L with speed 4 locked in on a level ground the mower
> and the tractor will slow down together so amps will probably remain
> constant as power is reduced overall.

Same here.  You're going slower, so you're *using less power*.

> But if you start flooring it to speed 5 you'll pull more amps.

Now that's a different case.  There you're 100% correct.  To maintain the
same power at a lower voltage, you need more current.

What I'm arguing is that in most cases you probably don't even try to
maintain the same power - and with a fixed-speed motor such as on a mower
or snow thrower, you don't have that choice.  It produces the maximum
power
it can against a given load with a given voltage.

-----

I think part of the confusion here results from reading motor nameplates.
For example the nameplate current of a 120 volt 1/2 hp motor will
typically
be about double that of a comparable 240 volt 1/2 hp motor.

But those motors are *designed for their specific nameplate voltages*.  If
you run that 240 volt motor at 120 volts, it won't use twice the current.
It will use *less* current, though possibly more than half.

It's possible to model motor behavior mathematically.  I don't have the
engineering chops to do it off the top of my head, though some of you
probably do.  I could look it up but, eh, erm, cough, that will be left as
an exercise for the reader.  :-)

I did a quick web search and found a page that illustrates this rather
nicely with a simple, straightforward example:

https://hvacrschool.com/does-a-motor-draw-more-or-less-at-lower-voltage/

That page is examining an AC induction motor, and other factors such as
power factor come into play, but the principle is similar.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA