Re: (ET) Battery charger question

Joeaverage asked about bank chargers. In the summer of 2015 the charger in my E-15 died; the transformer shorted out, but I'm not sure why. As luck would have it, my I-5 came with some spare parts, including a charger transformer. I got a new capacitor and new diodes (worried that they may have killed the transformer) and installed everything. It hums along very melodiously; the old one made nasty growling sounds.

I then noticed that the NOCO "Genius" GEN3 3 bank external charger was misbehaving -- it would decide it was done after just a few minutes. Of course, the thing is a sealed unit that can't be repaired and its 3-year warranty had just recently expired. I replaced it with a MinnKota MK330D 3-bank charger (10 amps per bank). That seems to work nicely -- it gets the batteries bubbling as the charge tapers off. I like using the original chargers, but they can over-charge if you aren't careful (and lucky). The MinnKota will bring each pair of batteries up to a fully charged condition. There is no need to re-wire the batteries.

The MinnKota is fitted with XLR plugs that connect to XLR sockets on the I-5 and on the E15, so that either can be charged as needed. In the winter, when both the snowthrower and snowplow are in use, one of the ETs gets the MinnKota and the other gets the GE charger. The battery voltage is available at the "top"ends of fuses FU2 and FU3, making a convenient place to measure the voltage and thereby gain an idea of the battery state of charge.

When I got the E15 I installed two 20amp 120v circuits, on opposite legs of the 120/240 service so that both GE chargers could be used at the same time if necessary.

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY  E15 and I-5