(ET) flooded nicads are forever batteries, but messy

I was part of the same military surplus group that Chris Zach bought his bb600 NiCads in, and sho'nuff, the ones that I didn't kill during drag racing are still going strong.
They make a very abuse-tolerant battery, with a water wash and small stiff brush sufficent for monthly maintenance.
However, when I pulled the pack for a tractor repaint this summer, EVen though the nicads were inside an intact Elec-Trak battery bag, the KOH electrolyte that inEVitably vents out, encrusts and corrodes EVerything within reach had managed to migrate beyond the bag and turned a thick layer of POR-15 coating into a soupy black mess!  I cleaned it up and repainted, without measurable losses, but am now going with lithium against antique metal and moving the nicads to other uses.    Chris, have you found a good method of containing your nicads in the ET?
-Jay Donnaway