(ET) Kill the battery (Fall, leaf vacuum, etc)

So it's fall. Cooler, leaves are starting to land on the yard, and after a quick run with the leaf vacuum, tractor motor, and deck running at the same time I realized it was time to power cycle my batteries.

Note: I have 90 1.2v SAFT NiCd batteries in my tractor for a max capacity of 90 amps. NiCds have an interesting profile where they will provide pretty constant power till almost empty so when my tractor hits the bottom of the green bar on the volt meter it's going to go dead pretty quickly. However I did notice that once it hit that level things slowed down but did not collapse, which means the packs are probably out of sync.

So after running it down till it could barely move I parked it next to a power cord and left the deck and the blower running slower and slower till the deck cut out (the deck contactor drops out at about 20v or so) and let the blower spin till the pack read a good 8v or so. Then put it on charge and let it charge for 30m.

Then I drove it up my hill, parked it, and fed branches into the vacuum inlet until the blower started to slow. Then regenned it down the hill, ran the batteries again down to 6v under load and disconnected the blower (which was still spinning, but slowly. Nice new bearings make a big difference at lower voltages). Now it's back on charge and after 5m the charger was pulling 1,100 watts from the wall, power factor of .8.

In theory the pack should be (30ah*3*36)=3.240kw. Assuming a .9 charge efficiency from wall to pack (I really should hook up the E-meter again) that would mean if it takes 3.564kw from the wall it should be charged. I have a Watts up meter monitoring it now, will check again in an hour, 3 hours, and 6 hours (probably in the rain) to see how it's doing.

That should give me a good idea of the state of the pack. Using the on-board charger is not perfect: technically it can only supply about 30a into the batteries and NiCDs really should take 1C-2C charge rates at first (90a-180a) but that would require a 4 to 8kw charger.

Hm. You know I do have a spare Magnecharger system (paddle receiver+control logic+DC-DC charger and 9 temp probes for the pack) I wonder if it would be programmable to 36-45v. Then I could do a constant current to 42v, then constant voltage to 45v then a nice trickle overcharge as needed. I could even put the probes in the pack to watch for temp spikes. Hm hm hm. Maybe this should be my winter project.

It would be nice to dump charge the tractor in an hour...