Re: (ET) Reversing snowthrower motor

Thanks. I have been web searching for a bit, and they generally say it's feasible to reverse a compound DC motor. To pick just 1, this one [http://www.industrial-electronics.com/elecy4_3.html] shows a schematic that says if you reverse the armature leads, that reverses the motor, and all is good. (I'm ASSUMING - and I know the phrase that triggers - that the series and shunt windings are cumulative, as this is a traction application and we would want the extra grunt.)

On the other hand, the actual motors have an arrow on them indicating only CCW (as viewed from the sprocket) operation. I also recall a motor repair guy many years ago telling me that compound motors should not be run in reverse (no reason given). So, I figured I would consult the collective wisdom of this list before doing anything potentially dramatic.

Just back in from checking the posts and polarity. My recollection was that there are no markings on the posts, which is true. (On series motors they are usually marked A1, A2, S1 & S2). On one compound motor I had years ago, they were marked A1, A2, S1, S2, F1 & F2 - but posts F1 & F2 were smaller which indicated they were the shunt field.)

I misremembered the posts on this motor. There are 5, not 6, and they are all the same size. There are only 2 power connections to the motor, but there are jumpers across two pairs of posts. Some ASCII art below (use a fixed width font). Think of this as a 'Top View' where bottom is defined by the base plate.

             (Negative                          (Positive
             Connection)                        Connection)

                Post1                          Post2  Post3
                                               ============  Jumper
          |                                                 |
          |                                                 |
          |                                                 |
       *  |                Motor body                       |
Shaft  *==|                (base below - not visible        |
and    *  |                                                 |
Sprocket  |                                                 |

                                               Post5  Post4

                                               (No external
                                               connections)

(In hopes of providing some clarity in further discussion, I have arbitrarily numbered the 5 posts CW from top left, but there are no markings on the motor itself around the posts.) The jumpers are fairly thin metal, which suggests to me they aren't intended to carry as much current as the main power wires, but that's just a guess.

I have never taken one of these apart, but commutator and brushes (armature power) is usually at the external shaft end (no tail shaft on this motor), right?

So, with only one connector post at the shaft end of the motor, which are the armature connectors?

Darryl