Re: (ET) motor play

Yes, there should be a wavy washer behind the upper bearings but I'd agree that won't make a 3/16" difference.

If the motor has been that way all along since you got it, could be someone previously mixed and matched parts from different motors - there are some variants that are almost but not quite the same armature length.

The bearings should be accurately positioned by seating up against a hard stop. The smaller bearing on the upper end always goes against a step in the shaft diameter so no real room for error. The larger bearing on the lower (blade) end may use a clip that fits into a grove on the shaft. If that clip fell out, perhaps the bearing could slide further up resulting in the free play... I'll pay more attention as I'll be working on some Monday afternoon that have the clip.

--
Jim Coate
www.FreeRangeElectric.com