Re: (ET) Clicking contactor and blown Controls fuse - Early model E15

The ET factory controller design is relatively straightforward and easy
for
relative amateurs to work on.  However, it's not especially efficient,
it's
definitely obsolete, and it's prone to various failures.

I had more trouble with the reverse relay than anything else on my E15.
The
final straw for me was the snowstorm where I was plowing the driveway with
the hood open and the panel unscrewed so I could push on the reverse relay
to make the tractor back up.

Adding a modern solid-state controller markedly improves the tractor's
manners and reliability.

The downsides of controller conversion are

1. You gotta pick (relatively) cheap or (relatively) easy.  You can't have
both.

2. Unless you're a well trained up-to-date electronic engineer, the
controller becomes an unfixable black box to be sent out for service or
replaced if/when it fails.  Fortunately, that normally doesn't happen very
often.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA