Re: (ET) In Search Of... Again

Let me add some detail on two-blade ICE mowers and correct a point from
David Roden, then on to electric and back:

ICE mowers in the usual situation, driving multiple blades with one
serpentine belt, do -not- need to have the blades at right angles, and in
fact they wouldn't stay that way because of belt slippage.  You couldn't
depend on the blades staying at right angles, and you couldn't risk the
blade paths possibly overlapping:  Hit a rock and the blades would collide;
the result would be catastrophic.

The -paths- of the blades, as the mower moves forward, -do- overlap.  The
circles of the blades' rotation do -not- overlap, because one blade is set
slightly in front of the other, (yes, even with 2-blade mowers; of course
you've seen it with 3-blade).

In the usual situation, the blades rotate clockwise as seen from above.
The mower discharges to the right, and it is the left blade which is
slightly ahead of the right.  This allows the leading edge (cutting edge)
of the left blade's circle to throw clippings in front of the right blade
and be able to push them out the right discharge.

This also explains the phenomenon noted by Tim Maxwell--that you can get an
un-mowed strip when turning sharply:  If you make a right turn, the blade
circles overlap more than usual.  If you make a left turn, it's more like
having the blades exactly side-by-side so there's a gap between them.
(Unfortunately, that has an awkward interaction with mowing a rectangular
area:  You want to start clockwise so as to mow as close to the border with
the non-discharge side of the mower. Then you turn around and mow
counterclockwise on the rest of the area so that you windrow into the
already-mowed area and don't end up bogging down in piled-up clippings.
But that means most of your turns are left, which is the turn that leaves
a gap in a sharp turn.  We live in an imperfect world.)

If you look at electric instead of ICE, again the blades don't have to be
synchronized (nothing to keep the motors in sync) but for example with a
3-blade deck, the center blade is well in front of the left and right
blades, so that the forward-moving paths of the blades overlap even though
the blade circles don't.

ALL that said (sorry for the length!), there are multiple sins which can
cause an unmowed stripe in the center of a two-blade mower path...I should
know; I've committed some.
Someone mentioned installing blades upside-down, which means the blade
doesn't have lift.  That seems unlikely to me since that also puts the
blunt trailing edge of the blade in the lead and it would make quite a
mess.
If you wait way too long to replace blades (done that), they get shorter at
the ends where they're moving the fastest, to where you get a gap.
If you don't keep the underside of the deck and the discharge decently
clean
the blades can't produce the lift which pulls the grass into the blades.

--
Dick Dunn          rcd talisman com          Hygiene, Colorado  USA