From: Chris Zach [mailto:cz alembic crystel com]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:01 AM
To: Elec-trak list <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Subject: (ET) Running but still odd things.

Well, I finally finished refurbishing the deck with a new shell. This one
has baffles, which means I need to think a bit before putting in my
stiffener bar over the discharge chute (which is currently only supported
by the little blanking plate). That part of the deck takes a lot of
stress, need to think about it a bit.

Fired it up, lot of vibration. Took the blades off, spent some time with a
cheap-o balancer (the Home Depot one doesn't really fit the holes) and
took some metal off one side on each blade. Now there is a lot less
vibration, but not quite perfect. Good enough.

New problem is that the tractor is going into speed 4 right off the bat
even though all contactors are *not* closed. Very weird. In reverse it
feels like the field is not coming on, also weird as the motor heats up
quickly and trips the thermal switch on the motor housing.

I'm not sure if there is a field problem or a short in the main wiring or
something else. It's never dull, I'll check tomorrow when the weather is
down to the 70's.