Re: (ET) 12M swivel ends for deck arms

Jim,

Yes, L shaped arms for mid-mount.  My swivel ends have cracked up above
the ball, where the metal is fairly thin.  I’ve also had the threads
strip—again, fairly thin metal around the threads, I think.  I’ll grant
you 40 years for the OEM’s is pretty dang good though.  ;-)

The McM’s look much heavier all around.  Part # 60645K34.
https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-joints

Not sure exactly why, but someone decades ago went to the trouble of
cutting off the threaded ends of all 4 of the L arms and then welding on a
threaded end an inch or so longer than the original.  Rather crudely, too!
 I wondered if it was to maybe be able to thread the original swivels on
further, and still get the same ‘length’--for more thread purchase and
less likely to strip?  I have one L arm that I guess is original (though
it has no 1/8” hole near the top, for the spring’s cotter).  If I try to
use it with the other arms I’m only able to thread the swivel on a 1/4” or
so, which seems iffy.

Thanks.

Thon