(ET) 12 v marine batteries

Has anyone tried the cheap battery replacement thing of using 3-12volt
batteries instead of 6-6volt batteries? I used to have an E-12. Now I have
a golf cart in need of new batteries, and it seems like the 3-12v idea
would work for non-mowing usage, trash hauling, and cruising around the
neighborhood. Walmart has 12 volt marine deep discharge 790 CCA batteries
for $81. This could save me some money over replacing with 6-12v.
        Does this idea work pretty good for my kind of usage? Any ideas?
-Bill Alburty