Re: (ET) bench test drive motors

    If you did not provide field current in addition to armature current, the current draw would be fantastic. Both items must be present.

RJ

On 12/7/2018 9:03 AM, Mike Finck via Elec-trak wrote:
I need some confirmation please!

I am 90% certain that several years ago I bench tested several drive and attachment motors, using two 18v cordless drill batteries connected in series. Obviously not a lot of capacity but 2 seconds just to test each motor. Recently, however, I recreated that setup on an E20 motor with bad results and now I am doubting what I (think I) did successfully back then.*:( sad

This time the motor spun very slow for about a half turn and stopped. Worse, when I put one battery back into the drill, it was 100% gone, and then would not recharge- ruined. I then rethought everything and decided that that battery must have been the problem so I brought out another E20 motor tagged as "runs good" and repeated the setup (replacing the dead drill battery with another). Same basic result, however this time both drill batteries worked afterward. Should this setup work or is my recollection faulty?

1. I had attached the leads from the makeshift battery pack to the two terminal studs labeled A1(red 8) and S2 (black 10) as shown in fig. 7-8. Concluding either lead on either terminal would not matter. I did not do anything with CB-1, it remained unconnected. Field weakening plug was also unconnected.

2.  I decided to test in the first place because I had loosened the terminal nuts and was surprised how loose the terminal bolt becomes. (I am restoring this tractor and am obsessive about cleaning/shining all bolts and nuts). Then I was concerned about what might have happened internally when the bolts moved around so much. I found an exploded diagram of E20 motor on George's website and saw that the bolts have a tapped head with a wire attached, the terminal bolt is held/restrained by an internal flat washer. So I was comfortable repositioning the bolt and washer, the square spacer, and the insulating pad to their original position and then re-tightening the nut.

Sorry to be so wordy but wanted to be as descriptive as possible. What am I missing? Thanks! Mike.