Re: (ET) This deck died for your sins....

Hmm, haven't looked at brakes in 12yrs.  Oh, I live in Eastern North Dakota.  Dead flat.  Average slope of 12" per mile.  Friction is my brake.

From: Chris Zach <cz alembic crystel com>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:53 PM
To: Elec-trak list
Subject: (ET) This deck died for your sins....

I'll be honest: In about 10 alternate realities I am dead, and no longer
posting on this list. In this one however I merely have a banged up leg,
so I thought I would write up my error such that others do not repeat it.

Spent the day mowing leaves and hauling the bags up to the curb with my
E20. It's a pretty heavy tractor; several hundred pounds plus batteries.
The brakes needed adjustment, but they would hold it at a stop, so I put
off getting them adjusted till later. Besides, the motor in regen mode
can stop the tractor easily, and it doesn't go too fast.

After taking the last load up the hill I turned to the driveway to go
down and back into the yard. My driveway is pretty long, about a 30
degree slope, and the tractor can get a good bit of regen. This time
however when I went down the tractor popped out of L.

First reaction was to hit the brakes. Nothing, the tractor was speeding
up and was basically freewheeling. Could not get it back into gear so I
thought about bailing out. At the bottom of the hill are 4 cars: 2
porsches, a minivan and an older electric. By the time I decided to hit
the cars, it was too late to angle for the electric and if I hit the
minivan I would probably go through the rear hatch. So the Porsche it
was, with the thought that I would go over the top of the car and deal
with things later.

At the last second I realized there was another option: A hard 90 degree
turn into the woodpile. There was one that was only 10% full, so I
turned the wheel and prepared to go off the side. The tractor turned,
dumped me, slammed into the woodpile, and the deck took the force of the
blow as it was retracted up.

The deck is now bent like a cruller, it's kind of neat to see. Granted
it was old and rusted but I think I will need a replacement. I went off
the side, bumped into the minivan, and was quite oddly fine with the
exception of a badly bruised and cut up leg.

This could have gone much much worse. In fact it's pretty much
impossible that it went as well as it did. The moral of the story is
this: Adjust your brakes on your tractor. Never drive it if they are not
ready to stop it. Been doing this for 20 years, and I really almost
bought it this evening.

Noted for future reference.