Re: (ET) current ratings for contactors? 50A enough for PTO?

Probably because it has to dump extra energy when going open and effectively shorting out the mower deck motors. That's a lot of energy stopping very quickly.

100a is about right for blowing snow. I don't have a shunt on that line specifically, but 300+ amps would include the drive motor shoving the thing up hill.