Re: (ET) charger failure question

Again subject to the standard disclaimer (I'm not a EE): As with many
other
straightforward electrical items, there are really only two failure modes
for a transformer winding, shorted or open.

An open in the secondary will cause either no output or, more likely in
this
case, reduced output, since the charger will produce half wave output
rather
than full wave.

A short will usually either overload the transformer (probably tripping a
breaker or opening a fuse), or cause low output and excessive heating.

But not always!  I've run across some interesting transformer winding
shorts.  Many years ago I was tinkering with a friend's troubled tube
power
amplifier.  I don't recall all the symptoms any more, but I do remember
noting that the wirewound hum balance control across the 6.3v tube heater
winding was burned open.  That's odd, thunk I, and thoughtlessly laid a
finger on one of the trimpot's terminals.  I ended up half way across the
room.  Good thing I wasn't touching the chassis with the other hand!  It
turned out that the power transformer's 800 volt B+ supply winding had
internally shorted to the heater winding.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA