Re: (ET) charger failure question

I am an EE, I agree, very unlikely that DC dumped into the secondary would do anything to the primary. It could cook the secondary pretty well. It's low DCR, and 36V with lots of amps available. Diodes can go either way, usually fail shorted first, if nothing else blows, then the diode would blow.

IF the AC power was on when the big DC current hit the secondary, the AC could overheat the primary quickly, because the iron would be saturated, and that is bad. When the iron in a transformer is saturated, the current into the primary rises rapidly. It's one of the design factors / trade offs when designing transformers.

Dave