Re: (ET) E-15 not getting out of first speed

After Mike's query about the battery voltages I reported, I got curious and tried a different (better!) VOM and got somewhat lower readings. Hmm...

So, I charged the batteries again and let them sit overnight. The better VOM measured 38.2v, just as Mike had suggested. Running the mower deck by itself dropped the voltage to 36.9v. With the gearbox in neutral, running the drive motor in speeds #1, #2, #3, and #4 gave 37.0v, 36.9v, 36.6v, and 36.5v. With everything turned off again, the voltage was 37.4v, and it slowly increased to 38.0v after about 5 minutes.

This was on a set of 5-year-old Crown flooded batteries (from Harold Zimmerman). They have been charged by a MinnKota 330 (3 banks of 10 amps each) with occasional use of the standard GE charger (rebuilt and working well). The MinnKota replaced a similar NOCO charger that failed just after the warranty ran out. Sigh!

The MinnKota is fitted with XLR plugs that connect to XLR sockets on the I-5 and on the E15, so that either can be charged as needed. In the winter, when both the snowthrower and snowplow are in use, one of the ETs gets the MinnKota and the other gets the GE charger.

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY  I-5 and E15