(ET) Transmission rebuilding or new design?

My I5 transmission gave up the ghost. Leaked out all over the floor of the garage. I assume a bearing seal is bad although at first glance it looks like it is coming from where the two halves join together. Having split one of these before, knowing cost of parts, and not having anyone around who will do a rebuild makes me wonder what kind of alternatives are out there. Thoughts of using a peerless 700 orT92 hooked to a solid axle come to mind. Or some sort of 2 speed belt setup. Looking for thoughts.