Re: (ET) Curtis controller mod

On 27 Apr 2016 at 17:41, Briggs, Michael wrote:

> Has anyone done a detailed "how to" on updating an Elec-Trak to a Curtis
> controller, including a parts list?

I recall someone posting about a Curtis conversion several years ago.  I
don't think I've ever seen a cookbook style how-to, though.

Most Curtis golf car controllers are designed for series motors.  You'd
need
a way to make sure the field was powered before applying armature current.

Also, I don't know whether it would apply to the golf car controllers, but
some larger Curtis controllers' current limit doesn't work fast enough
with
the lower inductance that a separately excited motor armature presents.
If
this proved to be a problem, you could fix it with an extra high-current
inductor in series with the armature.

In behavior, sepex motors are closer to PM motors than to series motors.
So
as I posted the other day, I recommend trying a 4QD PM motor controller
instead of a Curtis series controller.   But I'm sure you could get a
Curtis
to work with a little hacking.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA