Re: (ET) Elec-trak Digest, Vol 14, Issue 37

On 29 Mar 2016 at 12:18, Robert wrote:

> A 100A battery should be charged with C/10 to C/20, that means 100/10 =
> 10 amps max charge current.

I assume that by "100A battery" you mean 100 AH.

Most batteries will benefit from an initial charge of at least C/10.  C/20
will be OK for some.  I wouldn't recommend going much lower than that.  A
5
amp charger or less would be undersized for an ET.

It's fine for the current to taper after a while.  However, batteries
really
like that opening grand slam for some reason.  I'm not an electrochemist
and
I have no clue why.

This is the reason that Lester golf car chargers charge at an initial rate
of 20-22 amps (220AH batteries).

Some batteries will actually lose capacity if they aren't charged with a
high enough initial current.  In the mid-1990s, Hawker Genesis AGM
batteries
got quite a reputation for failing early when not charged with enough
current.

> It's also better to charge each battery individually or in pairs of
> two

For valve regulated batteries, it would be even better if you could charge
each CELL individually.  For most batteries, regulating the charge at the
monoblock level is about all you can hope for.

I guess block or even cell balancing would be nice for flooded batteries
too, but I've never done it, and I don't know anyone who has.  They're
much
more tolerant of equalization by overcharging than VRR batteries are.
Also,
in most applications, the operation economy gained probably doesn't offset
the cost of the hardware to do the balancing.

Batteries are fascinating critters.  :-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA