(ET) Running with card one again, some issues

so after years of running my E12S in full death machine mode, manual switches all around, I was inspired by my purchase of the virtually new E15 to install a new card one and give it a try. Mostly works ok, but with this caveat:

The output for the start relay fails to engage on a regular basis. When it does, the next two do always. reverse always works. PTO always works. Put a meter on it and it is getting signal from the switches on the hand throttle but not outputting to the relay. Seems much worse with the mower deck running,50/50 shot or worse, compared to 80/20 without. i have not got as far as figuring out if the NC part of the start switch is charging the cap to begin with.

The start microswitch is new

new card one

edge card connections replaced with a proper edge card connector and am pretty damn confident of the connection there.

The difference with the deck running made me wonder if that might indicate something beyond my experience.