As to the reliability of the control, I agree. My E12S is a death machine, two switches in place of card one, no safeties, will happily run me over and keep on toddling down the road. I  did this after trying to fix the card unsuccessfully, and just needing the tractor to run, which it does. Funny thing, I occasionally hit my fwd/rev switch at the wrong time, and it does not burn up. Maybe the card is not so bad as the wimpy relay.

What is interesting is that card one still handles the PTO, flawlessly. After looking at this pristine E15 and thinking about it, I am wondering if I should give the old control a second chance[on the E12S] Maybe a delay relay would be the ticket.

My biggest issue was connections to the card, which I believe I have tackled on this machine as the original connectors were fracturing and no longer useful even with virtually zero miles. I replaced them with an actual edge card connector and we will see if that is better. New caps are installed. We shall see

On 2015-04-30 16:14, Nick Skinner wrote:

Pin 7 of Card 1 is the sense pin for the armature voltage and is part of the circuit that is supposed to lock out the field reversing relay until the back EMF has dropped to a "safe" level that won't burn the relay contacts. See page 5-3 of the HSM for further reading.

By wiring this pin to wire 8, which would put it directly in parallel with the high side of the armature would probably be the more conservative (reliable) place to wire it if you want to read armature voltage. Putting it on wire 6 would add the two armature resistors (R1 and R2) between the sense and the armature. Having it on wire 6 would actually put it electrically "closer" to the field winding.

I'm not sure which would be the better choice. The manual's description of the circuit function refers extensively to the armature back EMF and not field potential (maybe the voltage spikes of the field are prone to taking out the card components?). Either should work, and accordingly I would probably leave it as it is. However, there would be no harm in rewiring to wire 8. Perhaps this change in the manual was done to help mitigate card and relay failures, who knows.

This is not the only error in the manual. The E20 diagrams have a few non-conformities also.

Nick