Re: (ET) Fwd: Re: Card 1 wire 8 or...

A fair number of people here like the fact that they can work on the
original GE speed controllers.  They have a point, but the problem I had
with mine was that I was working on it way too frequently.

Finally I ripped that obsolete rat's nest out and replaced it with a
modern
transistorized speed controller, an Alltrax model specifically made for
the
E15.  I've never regretted it.

You do need to be able to follow a schematic diagram to connect an Alltrax
properly. We had one person on this list some years ago who had no end of
problems doing the installation.  Either he was very unlucky in getting 2
or
3 bum controllers in a row, or had something off in the hookup that let
the
magic smoke out of those controllers.  He did get it working eventually,
if
I'm not mistaken.

For me, it worked first time and has ever since, touch wood.

I don't know how an Alltrax E15 controller would work on an E12.  Maybe
someone here has tried it.  If your tractor has a wound field motor, my
guess is that it'd probably be fine.  If yours is a later one with a
permanent-magnet motor, you'd need a different kind of controller.  I'd
use
a 4QD for a PM motor tractor.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA