Re: (ET) Fuses made of silver?

Yes, exactly; unfortunately solutions for the large frame tractors don't
usually fall into place for the little guys like my R-36 - no gauges, no
controller (just an on-off switch), speed set with a gearshift.

I've had the mower motors serviced by the local auto electric folks
recently, with new bearings.  They said the brushes looked almost new.

So why the blown fuses?  The first one I attributed to a crusty old
fuseholder making poor contact and heating up the fuse.  The second time
the
other (factory original) fuse opened while I was mowing fairly normal
grass.
 That may have been the fuse's age; they do that sometimes.  This time, I
was mowing up behind the barn and snagged a bit of old fence wire, which
apparently jammed the blade, so the fuse did what it was supposed to do.

That said, I'm pretty sure I recall that these motors already have the
Klixon breakers in them.  I guess the fuses are thus a backup to the
breakers, and also to protect the wiring.  There is one 40a slow blow fuse
for each mower motor.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I found a fuse, so I'm back up and
running
for now.  I'll digest the input and with luck I'll have something in place
(even if it's just a couple more spare fuses) before the next one opens up.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA