Re: (ET) 4QD Pro 120 controller

I'm using a Curtis, so don't have electronic control of reversing, but I can say I feel the same as David R.  It was an easy choice since with my tractor came a box of misc. cables held together by corrosion, pieces of relays, and a few contactors, and that is all that was left of the original controls.  I'm cheaper, though, so I just picked up a surplus curtis.  I love the ability to precisely control the speed and therefore position.  The best part is I hardly ever have to use the foot brake.  Just turn the throttle to zero.

Interestingly, I also reverse the field with a relay.  You have to turn off the controller first, but the process is quick.  If I had thought about it when building it, I'd have put in a momentary switch to the KSI on the controller to hold while flipping the field, but I discovered the need to do a momentary shutdown after completing the rebuild, and was just too lazy to tear into the guts of the tractor again.

David Brandt

From: "jlantonucci comcast net" <jlantonucci comcast net>
Cc: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) 4QD Pro 120 controller

I had an older Alltrax fail on me but I am pretty sure it was my fault.  I was running a really old & weak set of batteries and kept getting under voltage alarms until it finally gave out.  Alltrax replaced it free of charge even though it was way out of warranty.  What a great company!  I love the ability to crawl along at really low speeds in any gear and the fine speed adjustments it allows.