Re: (ET) batteries

In my experience, battery maintainers generally do more harm than good.
Most good batteries, if kept clean and stored in a cool, dry environment,
don't need them. anyway.

What can cause high self discharge?  Age can do it.  So can condensation /
dirt / precipitated acid mist on the battery tops.  Wipe the batteries
clean
before you store them for the winter.  A cloth dampened with ammoniated
window cleaner is good for this.  Don't get any of the stuff in the cells,
though.

During storage, the situtation is best evaluated by checking the SOC with
hydrometer.  If they need charging, charge them with a regular charger.
Better yet, cycle them (use them for a while, then charge) to keep them
exercised.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA