Re: (ET) cordless string trimmers & mower blade balancing

On 26 Apr 2014 at 17:13, Steve Welch wrote:

> 1.  Anyone have good success with the current crop of cordless string
> trimmers?

They may be better now, with lithium batteries and all, but I gave up on
them years ago and use a corded one.  I can power it via an inverter from
the ET (but have to tap the battery pack for either 12 or 24 volts).

> 2.  What's your favorite method of balancing your deck blades?  After
> sharpening mine this spring I have a bit more vibration than I'd like.

I use a Tecomec magnetic balancer (an Italian-made Magna-Matic 1000
knockoff).  The balance I get is decent, though not perfect; I still get a
little vibration. It's better than hanging the blade from a string,
though.
A genuine Magna-Matic might be still better, but it costs over twice as
much, and I can't justify that right now.

I've never found a simple cone balancer that fits an ET blade.  If anyone
else has, please spill the beans!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA