Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:50:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Theoldcars aol com
To: roberttroll hotmail com, elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) When did they start making car batteries out of
gold??

The Trojan TE35 I looked at on line appears to be flooded  battery? There
is a TE35-Gel which is a seal battery. You might want to check and make sure
the TE35 is really sealed.

If I had a choice and had to use a lead battery it would a  gel. They have
more cycle life and stay in balance better. You do need a  charger that has
an algorithm for gel or you will cook them.

LiFePo4 should have four times the cycle life but I very highly doubt  this
would provide 32 years of calendar life. NiMH had a projected  calendar
life of 10 years but there are 15 year old NiMH batteries still going strong.
Lithium has some projecting a calendar life 10 to 15  years. This could
vary
a lot by how deeply you cycle the pack and how many  cycles you run. I have
also heard 20 years but there is no way of knowing. Also  warmer
temperatures shorten all battery chemistries calendar life. There are many factors
that affect overall performance.

I have a good friend who installed a pack of the older CALB SE 100AH  cells
in an OEM Ranger EV.

http://southtownelanes.com/electric_pickups.html

He has over 30,000 miles but has not noticed any capacity loss. Before he
used LiFePo4 his best performance using lead was 15,000 miles with
significant loss of capacity before reaching that mileage. Also lost a few
batteries during that time. The actual useable capacity was far less and the cost of the lead is 50% of the LiFePo4. So now all his use is all costing no more
then he would have paid for lead at 30,000 miles. This  does not factor in
all the other advantages. He has reach his point of  payback.

When you size a lead pack you should figure not going less then 50% on
discharges for maximum cycle life. If you do your cycle life will be
significantly reduced.

What is misleading with lead is the AH claims by manufacturers. 200 amp
hours at a 5 amp load is just not how most people use batteries. With
significant loads your 200AH rated lead is really closer to 100AH. If you expect
to get close to the claimed cycle life with lead your use should be 50% of
that.  So 50AH of capacity DOD would be your best chance at maximum
success.

You could do about the same thing with a CALB 60AH cell. Your cost would be
reduced by 40% of the 100AH cells and it is highly likely to still way
out last the lead pack.

What is the amp load and for how long?

Don Blazer