Re: (ET) When did they start making car batteries out of gold??

LiFePo4 has a very very low self discharge rate

If you charged them and two or three months later pull the tractor out to remove snow. No charging would be needed to start your work.

After your work is done it is highly likely your cells would have warmed up enough to charge. You would not want to wait as they would cool down and then you would have to warm them up.

Here is some interesting information on cold weather performance. Note the cells are in a bucket of ice cooled to 0 degrees. Even trying to keep the temperature as low as possible the cell warmed up to 25 degrees under load.

I have a Fluke and it is a very useful tool. Great for bench testing batteries temps and an endless other things.

Don Blazer

"1. Temperature. Implied in the CALB graph is a steady -20C or -4F. We cold soaked our cells to 0F, but during the test, held the cell in ice in a cooler. The temperature rose over the test for both cells from 0 to about 25.5 degrees F."