Re: (ET) When did they start making car batteries out of gold?? :-)

Barry, out of curiosity, what DC/DC did you use?

David Brandt

From: Barry <Barry fredericktown com>
To: 'David Roden (Akron OH USA)' <etpost drmm net>; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) When did they start making car batteries out of gold?? :-)

I installed 12 100 ah CALB cells from Don in my EGT-200 on about July 20
2013 along with three used 12v AGM batteries for my accessories, a custom 15
amp charger from "Quick Charge Corp" that cuts off at 43.2 volts and a 36-12
volt converter to charge the 12 volt batteries. I should have bought a
smaller charger and saved money. The mower is working better than ever. It
is quite a bit faster. The voltage only dips slightly from a light load to a
very heavy load. I mow about 1.5 hours with only a very slight drop on the
fuel gauge. I should be able to mow for 2 hours plus.
I checked the cells today after a full charge with the charger disconnected
with a $4.00 meter from Harbor Freight.
The voltages were:
9 at 3.29
3 at 3.31
I performed NO balancing or pre installation charging or discharging of any
sort on the cells. I installed them as they came from Don.
The 12 cells only take up about 1/2 the area under the seat which leaves
room for one of the 12v AGM batteries. The other two 12 volt AGM batteries
are in the front with the charger. You can see that the lightness of the
lithium cells is NOT a problem as many people have mentioned. You can just
add more weight as required. You can empty the acid out of some of your 6
volt batteries and leave them in the tractor. If you only use your tractor
for mowing you do not have to add any weight.

I am not using a BMS. With the charger limited to 43.2 volts I feel that the
cells will remain in balance. I expect these cells to last 15+ years. The
lead acid batteries lasted 6 years.
There may or may not be a cost savings with the lithium cells but, I will
never have to water these cells, there will be no more corrosion and rusting
of the battery boxes, no more loose or burnt up cable, no more lifting of 62
lb flooded lead acid batteries and with the new charger I will not have to
think about how long to set the charger for.

I temporally installed 12, 40 ah CALB cells and was able to mower for 45
minutes. Those 40 ah cells are now in my golf cart which goes 9 miles on a
charge.

You can see pictures are:
http://electricfordranger.com/BarrysEGT200.aspx
I engineered and helped with the lithium upgrade to the Ranger. It does not
have a BMS. The 104, 100 ah cells also came from Don.

Barry Elkin
barry fredericktown com

www.electricgvan.com
www.fredericktown.com/chriscraft/restored