Re: (ET) battery cables

Use tinned marine cable of the same gauge as stock. Marine cable has far greater corrosion resistance, and is cheaper to boot. I buy mine on ebay for a $1 or so a foot. And because the strands are fine you can twist it into almost any shape easily.

You can put in a larger cable, but unless you plan on putting in a larger motor that will be pulling more amps, it is not necessary. If it were GE would have put in larger cables. IMHO The place to concentrate your efforts and cash is in making sure you have good solid connections. This is where the largest source of resistance will be.

It is generally not recommended in the marine world to solder high current connections. Something to do with creating more resistance and localized heating of the connector.