(ET) steering mounting bearing

I'm (still) looking for the source of a sharp 'click', when I just start
to turn the steering wheel.  I can move the wheel back and forth just a
few inches, and it will continue to click one time, each time I move it in
the other direction.  It sounds most like it's coming from the area of the
rear mounting bracket but I don't see any play in this area.

I do see a fair amount of movement in the front bearing area though.  I
presume everything under the saddle bracket is the bearing?  The bracket
doesn't move, but the bearing moves maybe 1/16" or so, each way.  Should
this be dead solid?  It doesn't really look like this movement is causing
the noise, at the front bearing, but maybe it's causing it at the rear of
the shaft?

If this needs replaced, it looks like the whole steering assy. needs
dismantled?

Thanks.

Thon