Re: (ET) Battery box corrosion

On 7/26/2013 10:39 PM, Chris Tromley wrote:
Y'know, for quite some time now I've thought about making a rear battery box out of fiberglass with separate rivet-on fenders (so it's shippable).  And a front fiberglass box that would replace the entire cowl, side panels and front "grille" with a one-piece layup.  One of the big advantages would be that there would be interior walls to contain the batteries and drain holes in the bottom so you could just hose down the batteries - no corrosion buildup in the crevices and corners.  Do that on a steel tractor and you're just begging to rust some holes through your frame.

As for strength and frame rigidity, there should be no problem.  The added thickness and one-piece construction would make that a non-issue.

Would anyone else be interested in fiberglass parts of professional quality that cost a bit more than steel?  If there is, I might consider making molds and selling parts through Harold and Jim (Clean Power and Electric Tractor Store).
Chris

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM, David Roden <etpost drmm net> wrote:
On 16 Jul 2013 at 20:27, Andrew Poush wrote:

> Any other suggestions about liner materials and methods to
> prevent reoccurrence of rust in the boxes?

I've had zero battery box corrosion problems, probably because I use gel
batteries.  I don't recommend charging them with the stock ET charger,
though.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send