Re: (ET) Sparks!

 Sounds like 1A is the one not closing. A reading of approx. 36V on the
coil and almost no voltage across the contacts when running is what you're
looking for. Sounds like current was flowing through the resistor instead
of the contacts of 1A and when you applied your test lead it tried to flow
through there and the lead couldn't handle it.
 Harold Zimmerman