From: Charlie <medievalist gmail com>
To: Elec-Trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:52 AM
Subject: (ET) Disappointing 36vdc LED headlight results

A couple months ago I bought socket-compatible 36v LED lamps for the
headlights and dash light of the I5.  They were expensive and took a
long time to ship.

I thought I'd just be moving one wire - I forgot that the I5 has a
12vdc horn which is jumped into that circuit (Geo's site has pictures
of the AP69 horn and wiring).

But anyway I hooked them up last week.  They fit perfectly, correct
bases and polarities.  The dash light glows weakly at 12v or 18v but
works well enough for the purpose at 36VDC - I consider that one a
success.

The headlights do not come on at all at 12v or 18v, glow weakly at
24v, and behave kind of strangely at 36vdc.  When you flip the switch,
the LEDs flash very brightly, brighter than the old 12v incandescents.
But that lasts only a fraction of a second, then they settle down
into a useless, weak glow no more illuminating than a single firefly.
You can do this repeatedly and they flash/glow every time.

Very disappointing.  I am considering unsoldering the unit, to see if
it has semiconductors under the LEDS.

--Charlie