Re: (ET) 36 to 14V

I would have to disagree about the concept of field reversing. This is the scheme i implemented on my I-5 control design and it has worked fantastically. It is not only simple, but greatly reduces wiring. I will admit that the card setup proved problematic but i have sketched out some idea's on how to eliminate the cards while still retaining the safety features.  Sketched is the operative word..

And you can connect MOV's in parallel :)

Just my preference.