Re: (ET) Controller current capacity (was Elec-trak Digest, Vol 10, Issue 201)

On 12/30/2012 11:24 AM, David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
I'm no expert, but I'd say youi'll need at least that much and probably
more.  IIRC, when Alltrax was designing the ET controller, they started
with
a 200 amp (peak) current limit and after some testing increased it to 300
amps.

For the drive motor? Not quite sure if 200a will do it, but I have seen well over 300 amps at the battery when blowing heavy snow, uphill, in D1. Closer to 400 if I recall correctly. Granted the snowblower was pulling a lot, but I was also forcing it into the chute with the E20's drive motor. So 200a is not unbelievable.

FWIW, most folks who design controllers have large piles of silicon that's
given its life in the design process.  It seems to involve a lot of loud
bangs and, now and then, smoke and flames.

These things do happen. :-) Fortunately I have the controller that doesn't seem to be too concerned about the details of the motor. See, it uses these things called contactors..... :-)