Re: (ET) Over voltage on DC motors

I'm not a motor expert, but I know that many road EV hobbyists run series
DC
motors at well over their rated voltage. Using 96v motors at 120v, or 120v
motors at 144v, isn't uncommon.  Some of the drag racers go far beyond
that.

However, remember that these motors are designed for multiple decades of
service in forklifts, burden carriers, and the like, running 8 or 12 hours
at a stretch.  In 30 years of 8 hour days, that's 62400 hours of use.  By
contrast, an automobile run 100000 miles at an average of 45mph has only
2222 hours of running time.  Thus, if by overdriving a forklift type motor
you reduce its life by a factor of 10, you still have plenty of service
life
for automotove use.

Small motors like the ET lift might be something else again.  These are
window lift motors, designed for intermittent use.  I suspect that plowing
driveway in witner is already using them above their duty ratings, and the
standard ET connection runs them at 50% over rated voltage to boot.

Something to think about, perhaps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA