Re: (ET) Replacement of the Elec-Trak.com site

If resources and relying on one admin are the problem, why not move the media stuff to the cloud?

The email forum is quite sufficient as it is.  I suppose others appreciate more of a multimedia experience, pics, videos, docs, that sort of stuff.  You can also add commentary to those things.

As such, my experience has been that more and more people are moving such sites to the likes of Facebook or Google+.  You can setup a public page.  It doesn't have to be stranded in a personal user's timeline.  You can create it as its own site, and assign multiple users as admins of the site.  You can set permissions on every object to be public, friends only, just me, or custom.  Obviously, anything but public refers to users of that service (FB or G+) only.  So, if you don't want to join the service (FB or G+), you can interact with all of the public portions.  If any commentary gets out of control, any of the admins can intervene and remove comments or edit content.

I think this would be a far superior alternative to any individual's web server or a do it yourself option.  It also doesn't cost a thing.  Facebook and Google+ were designed for this kind of multimedia content and multiuser sharing.  That's where people go these days to put things on display and let others come to experience and interact with it.

I used to be one of those guys who thought Facebook was a privacy-stealing, good-for-nothing, public farce for a long time, until I figured out all of my friends had been there for years and sharing their lives with each other.  Meanwhile, I had been emailing some people now and then, while they were sharing pictures, videos, funny things, life events, and a whole lot more that I never saw.

I'll re-emphasize, as a browser, you don't have to join FB or G+ to view and interact with the publicly shared content.  So, if that's your worry, it really isn't one.  Only the admins of the page have to join, and I'm more than happy to help out as a user of FB and G+.

 Sincerely, Jeremy Gagliardi
     http://Jeremy.Gagliardi.com
     mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com