(ET) intermittent noise

I need help analyzing an intermittent noise coming from my E20 please.  It only happens when moving, then only in reverse, and only when the tractor is experiencing a load (backing up a grade, pulling something in reverse,etc), even then not always.  It is hard to locate the source as I have to be on the tractor driving instead of moving my ear around down low!  I had my wife back it up a grade as I crawled around it. It's coming from the rear (makes sense as there are no spinning parts up front other than 2 wheels).  Now, the sound is like putting an axe blade to an old foot pedal slow-spinning grindstone for sharpening.  Yeah, almost exactly like that.  Or to put it in context of the E20, as if the transaxle sheave is touching the frame and grinding away  (not happenin' though).  I thought about something metallic intermittently touching the disc brake rotor but the sound seems to be from the other side of the transaxle.  Gotta be inside the transaxle I fear.  Any similar experiences?

Mike

PS, as an update, yesterday I tried and tried to make the noise and nothing.  I have heard it up till yesterday several consecutive days. It is so ominous that I hate to even run the tractor when it's acting up; but yesterday, not a sound.