Re: (ET) E15 motor is not a compound.

On 9/15/2012 6:49 PM, David Roden wrote:
"Compound winding means there's a 'light series' winding on top of the main
shunt field winding which adds flux proportional to armature amps to help
the main field produce torque as load goes up.  Unless you change its
polarity in reverse, it will do the opposite with load - decrease main
field
flux and motor speed increases.  That's why no field weakening in reverse
and higher speed under load.  The reason it's used is to compensate for
armature reaction (current in the armature makes flux which cancels field
flux and causes speed to rise inherently under load)."

Indeed. There is another reason; because a shunt field motor can't draw a lot of amps through the field, starting torque and power is limited. On the E-20, putting a series field in there allows the motor to start from a stall under load more like a series motor.

But if the E15 really had a series field, it should have done something without the little field. The fact that it didn't do anything, not even cogging, makes me think it is *not* a compound motor.

I'm trying to remember when I took it apart if both of the armature studs went straight to the brushes. I think so actually.

Chris